Recipe type: Sides, Breads
Cuisine: Gluten-Free, Mexican
Serves: 12-15 Tortillas
- 2 cups masa harina
- 1½ to 2 cups hot water
- ½ tsp coarse sea salt
- In a large bowl, mix salt and masa harina together.
- Pour 1½ cups of hot water into the dough and mix with a spoon or your hand to form a big ball. The dough should be firm and springy when touched, not dry or super sticky. If you need some more water, add it in small amounts until dough is the right consistency.
- Cover the bowl with a cloth napkin and let the dough rest for about an hour.
- Preheat a griddle or large frying pan on medium-high heat.
- Pinch off a golf-ball sized piece of masa harina and form it into a ball by rolling it in a circular motion in the palm of your hand.
- Put the masa ball in between two pieces of parchment or wax paper and flatten it using the tortilla press.
- Gently remove the flattened masa from the parchment paper and cook on the hot griddle for about 30 seconds to 1 minute, depending on how hot the surface of the griddle is. You want the tortilla to have beautiful brown marks.
- Flip the tortilla over and cook on the other side for 30 seconds to about 1 minute. The tortilla may start to puff up in the middle, That’s okay!
- Remove the tortilla and place it between a cloth napkin to keep it warm. If you want to be fancy, you can keep it in a tortilla warmer.
- Repeat steps 5-9 until all the dough is gone.
Recipe from Fromcatstocooking